Elder Abuse and Neglect Attorney Southern California
While the thought of it is beyond disturbing, elder abuse occurs all too frequently. Our elder adults are some of our society’s most vulnerable people, especially as they reach the point in their lives when they must rely on others to help them in their basic activities of daily living, safety, and well being. As Riverside elder abuse attorneys, we have seen some of the worst examples of elder abuse and complete neglect of these basic activities of daily living (BADLs).
Basic ADLs (BADLs) consist of self-care tasks, including:
- Personal hygiene and grooming (including brushing/combing/styling hair)
- Toilet hygiene (completing the act of urinating/defecating)
- Functional mobility (moving from one place to another while performing activities)
Many families find their loves ones need more care than they can provide at home and must rely on nursing homes to help them care for their elder family members. This trust is not always deserved, however, and mistreatment or neglect occurs in these facilities. Understanding types of nursing home abuse may go a long way to preventing it in our society, or at the very least protecting your loved ones from suffering its consequences.
Nursing Home Abuse
Nursing home abuse can take many forms, but all of it is damaging in some way – emotionally, physically, or financially. According to the Administration on Aging, abuse can consist of:
- Physical Abuse—inflicting physical pain or injury on an elder. This can include physical or chemical restraining.
- Sexual Abuse—non-consensual sexual contact of any kind.
- Neglect—the failure by those responsible to provide food, shelter, health care, or protection for a vulnerable elder.
- Exploitation—the illegal taking, misusing or concealing the funds, property, or assets of a senior for someone else’s benefit (often the care provider).
- Emotional Abuse—inflicting mental pain, anguish, or distress on an elder person through humiliation, intimidation, or threats.
- Abandonment—the complete desertion of an elder by those who have assumed the responsibility for the care of that person.
At the Southern California law firm of Brent Duque, our team of experienced and highly accomplished Riverside elder abuse attorneys can help you find real answers and real solutions to nursing home abuse or neglect. If your elderly or disabled loved one suffered a serious injury or died unexpectedly and you suspect neglect or abuse on the part of the nursing home, contact us today for a free consultation.
Aggressive Advocates for the Elderly and Their Families
We offer sound legal guidance and aggressive representation for individuals and families seeking justice and compensation in cases of nursing home abuse and neglect, including:
- Bedsores and pressure ulcers
- Dehydration and malnutrition caused by neglect
- Broken bones caused by failure to use proper restraints or overly aggressive use of restraints
- Excessive or improper medication
- Early discharge
- Untreated or improperly treated infection
- Physical or sexual abuse
- Wrongful death caused by elder abuse or neglect
The National Center on Aging Abuse has a great fact sheet for what to do to prevent elder abuse, but if the damage has already been done you need to speak with a Riverside elder abuse and neglect attorney.
As the elderly population increases and the social dynamics of our society begin to favor nursing home care over in-home care, we must be more vigilant than ever before in protecting senior citizens from abuse.
Knowing the signs of nursing home abuse and contacting a nursing home abuse lawyer if you know of or suspect abuse is critical in the fight against nursing home abuse and neglect. Contact the Riverside office of Brent Duque today for a free consultation at 1-877-241-9554.
Our office has successfully handled hundreds of accident cases over the years, including: